Pumpkin… again. I know. But it’s so good! It’s seasonal! And, more importantly, the big E. D. Smith cans of pure pumpkin purée are so big that you need to find two recipes to not waste it! This time though, it is not pumpkin in the form of a loaf – instead, it is a ball! With gluten-free oats, nutmeg, cloves, chia seeds, maple syrup, almond butter, lots of good stuff. It’s another simple grab + go breakfast item, or a snack for when you’re feeling sapped of your energy. It’s the ideal exam-time snack, which is exactly where I am in the semester
I made these last night, since I often get a craving to create something. I get bored while Eric is studying. There are only so many food and design blogs to read, ya know? Anyway, I then woke up early this morning to cover them in chocolate and garnish with nutmeg.
This recipe requires a bowl, a spoon, some measuring cups/spoons, a cookie sheet, and a freezer. Does it get any easier? Not really! To make this recipe vegan, omit the honey and double the maple syrup.
CHOCOLATE-DRIZZLED PUMPKIN SPICE ORBS
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
ACTIVE TIME: 1 hour
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, 15 minutes
SERVES: 24 orbs
- 3 cups dry, gluten-free oats (I used Quaker Quick Oats; steel cut would also work)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (heaping)
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1-2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together. Stir until thoroughly mix, and taste. At this stage I added more nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and a pinch of salt.
- Roll the dough into 1.5″ orbs, and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for about an hour.
- Once solid, prepare chocolate mixture in a double boiler. Add coconut oil and cacao powder. Once melted and thoroughly mixed, add your syrup to taste.
- Using a small spoon, drizzle chocolate over the orbs. Garnish with freshly-grated nutmeg or flakes of sea salt.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.